The Virginia Living Museum brings back animatronic dinosaurs and seven dinosaur themed experiences in Destination: Dinosaur opening Saturday, May 5, 2018. A VLM member/sponsor only preview will take place 9-11 a.m. and will open to the public at 11 a.m.
This exhibit will take guests back millions of years to the Jurassic and Cretaceous periods with seven dinosaur-themed experiences:
- 11 Animatronic Dinosaurs in the Indoor Gallery
- Life-Sized Animatronic T. rex in Garden
- Pachyrhinosaurus Photo-Op in Garden
- Water Spitting Dilophosaurus and Baby on the back deck
- Original Virginia Dinosaur Tracks
- Shows: Live Theater | Planetarium | Live Animal
- Outdoor Dinosaur Discovery Trail
Outdoors, guests will tremble at a growling full size adult Tyrannosaurus Rex in the outside garden, dodge the water spitting Dilophosaurus and baby and pose for a family photo with a 1,200 pound lounging Pachyrhinosaurus.
In the indoor gallery, discover a diverse group of dinosaurs like the Cryolophosaurus, Coelophysis, Stegoceras, and Suchomimus. See three different types of baby dinosaurs. An Amargasaurus mother and her baby will greet visitors with wide, sweeping tail motions while the Chasnosaurus mother-baby duo makes fluid movements and prehistoric sounds. Become an archaeologist with a Hadrosaur fossil dig, and get an inside look on how these animatronics actually work with a Stegoceras robot.
These lifelike creations are from Billings Productions, North America’s leading producer of animatronic dinosaurs. Each dinosaur is powered by a pneumatic system and fitted with its own electronic “brain” to activate and control its movements and sounds. The robotic dinosaurs use air pistons and state-of-the art electronics under steel frames to fuel the creatures. The frames are covered with detailed foam rubber skin to simulate their lifelike appearance with bony horns, sharp claws and blade-like teeth.
The animatronic displays are joined by the museum’s outdoor Dinosaur Discovery Trail which opened in 2016 featuring 16 life-like dinosaur replicas, a paleontologist camp, dinosaur dig pits, dino huts and real fossils you can touch.
Three entertaining shows are offered throughout the summer:
May 5 – September 3:
- Did An Asteroid Really Kill the Dinosaurs? will be shown daily at 1:30 p.m. in the Museum’s Abbitt Planetarium. All day-time programs are $4 plus museum admission. VLM members are admitted free to day-time shows.
June 16 – September 3:
- The Rex is Right! – a live theatre program will take place in the outdoor amphitheater daily at 12:30 p.m. and 1:30 p.m.
- Daring Dinosaurs!- a live animal encounter will take place on the Museum’s main level at 11 a.m., 12 noon and 1 p.m.
Destination: Dinosaur is made possible thanks to the City of Newport News and Bayport Credit Union.
Destination: Dinosaur is included in Museum admission. Adults $20, children $15 (ages 3-12).
For more information, please visit https://thevlm.org/ or call 757-595-1900. The Museum is located at 524 J. Clyde Morris Blvd., Newport News, I-64, exit 258A. You can also find the VLM on Facebook, Twitter, and Instagram.